Subject: [Leica] Beware HCB Wannabes
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:42:53 -0400

> You are either completely missing my point or trying to be annoying. Would
> he
> be an equally good spy photographer with an 8x10 view camera in his
> subject's
> face just because he's entitled as a photographer to use any camera he
> wishes
> to use? I'm not talking about his right to be a photographer. I'm tallking
> about technique. Any of those subjects of his could complain that he is
> publishing their images without a model release form. I'm not talking about
> that either, but they would have that right. If you want to piss complete
> strangers off and have them sic the law on you for stalking them with a big
> SLR and telephoto lenses, you are looking for trouble. Or you can be
> discreet.
> Or you can say "this is America and I can do anything I want" and end up
> like
> this guy.
>
> Are you okay, or are you just in the mood to be contrary? The ACLU would be
> getting goosebumps right about now.
>
> No more from me on this subject. You're burning me out.
>
> [Smits]
> Jeffery Smith

You guys have just been saying the guy would be ok if he was using a smaller
camera and or smaller lens.
I'm saying free speech and freedom of the press is not camera specific.

You just wrote in your previous post:
" I think the size of his cannon...er....Canon..is what is making him so
conspicuous and is what is unnerving his subjects."
Is this "technique" as you are saying here and now becaue it sounds like
SIZE of camera to me.
Technique means USE of camera more than it means size or choice of that
camera.
You pick a camera. Then get good at using it. That's technique.
The person is taking photographs. He doesn't need to be lissome and
elegant, suave and polished to do so.
He can be as  awkward, clumsy, ponderous, ungainly, and gawky as he's going
to be. And as plenty of photographers are every day.
Freedom of speech does not only apply to Gentleman photographers
Perhaps patterned after HCB but there are plenty of them Cecil Beaton..... A
million of them.

Lots of photographers are geeks. Lots of them. They get to shoot whatever
they want and with whatever they want to photograph it with.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Beware HCB Wannabes)