Subject: [Leica] Any S2 experiences?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:22:55 -0400

> At 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the S2, the Hasselblad digital  system is still
> viable.
>
> If there is a difference in the optics, and more to the point, the
> resultant
> images, you will need to NEED rather than want the extra oomph of the Leica
> lenses for an extra $20-100++K.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i at earthlink.net
>
> The people running Hasselblad now  need to get that system going on a
> faster
> track (it drags) with better optics or their market share is going to
> plummet. And I  think that is going to happen.

The main issue will be people who feel like they depend on  the feel  and
general operation of DSLR's and not modular cameras which look look like
motorized 645's. Lots of people hate those cameras and feel like they just
can't "get down" with them. They just can't shoot and feel like they're
getting the shot. They have to feel like the camera is not getting in the
way. They have to not think.
In the past they'd use a Pentax 6x7 a 35mm SLR which just happens to have
brownie film in it and operate in the same way as an SLR and after a  half
an hour you forget you're not shooting 35mm.

Now many lenses does one need?
I think if you were really going to buy and were financing an S2 you'd get a
couple of lenses instead of a set of 3 or 4 or 5..
But in most cases they'be be renting it and they then get an option of Leica
instead of Fuji glass for about the same money.
Fujiblads are coming out with spunkier bodies and backs which have twice the
MP's of the existing S2 system and larger and larger approaching full frame
sensors.
So the S2-2 next year may have to rise to compete with those MP's*  as there
will be jobs in which the required specs are thought to be that.
Like billboards. Who cares?

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

MP's*