Subject: [Leica] Yosemite early sunrise...
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:05:19 -0600

No "right" or "wrong" here;
obviously you can create and present the image any way you like Steve.
It does communicate well as a crisp, cold high altitude morning.

Yet, for the sake of discussion of color balance and white points in
digital files
it's an interesting image to discuss and play with for the reasons
that Mark has mentioned.
You have an extremely high color temp in the shadows (the majority of
the frame)
and a relatively low color temp in the sunlit rock.

Does the foreground snow appear deep blue in your "memory?"

I'm not sure which program you use to process your images;
but in LR (lightroom) you may find it interesting to use the "eye
dropper"
to find the white point on the (white) snow in the sun lit rock.
This will give you neutral whites and grays;
then dial up the blue
to reflect your memory of the scene and/or your personal taste.
(I did this with your lg .jpg and would choose a version a bit shy
of your very blue decision - that doesn't make me right or you wrong
- just personal taste)

Just for the sake of discussion

Regards,
George Lottermoser