Subject: [Leica] Sensor cleaning revisited - smears after cleaning
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:52:41 +0100

Hi Geoff,

I have had the same problems with sensor cleaning.

There are a few things that can lead to it:

1) as you mentioned, touching some part of the camera other than the
sensor with your swab.
2) not letting the fluid soak in long enough - 30 seconds at least
3) using too much fluid
4) grease from fingers on the swab (or the swab may have touched
something before it was used on the sensor, did it rest on something
while soaking up the fluid?)
5) a small but thick greasy stain on the sensor - can take up to 4
passes to get rid of it
6) using the same swab for two or three wipes
7) grease spots from a dirty Arctic Butterfly brush or lenspen (had this
lenspen problem, don't use them any more)

By the way, and this really happened to me with my Canon 300D, don't
sneeze or cough while cleaning your sensor, it's just asking for trouble.
(And keep cats away from your desk when cleaning).

I have to clean my sensors about once every 2 weeks because we have a
cement works just up the road from here - well known for discharging
nano particle dust. We made the mistake of buying a black car - nuff said.

If it still applies to any of you - smoking is about the worst thing
that can happen to sensors - the tar and micro-particles in the air just
go looking for sensors and find their way into cameras even with lenses
attached. The cool, metal or glass parts in cameras are perfect surfaces
for any warmer airborne stuff to condense and precipitate on

Same applies if you keep or open your camera anywhere near the kitchen,
fat droplets and water vapour will soon find your sensor.

Fact is that most of the dust and spots are almost invisible to the
human eye, but still show up in your shots.

Sensor spots and stains are a "bu--er" to get rid of, but I suppose it's
a down side of digital there had to be.

Cheers
Douglas