Subject: [Leica] major Lightroom/Bridge discovery
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:08:42 -0800

OK, maybe I'm the last guy on the planet to figure this out, but in case I'm
not I thought I'd mention it.

Because of its keywording and searching and database capabilities and
general metadata excellence, I've been using Lightroom for a couple of years
now, to hold and print all of my images. I have version 2.6.

But Lightroom's editing capabilities totally suck compared to Photoshop, and
the person who designed Lightroom's cropping mechanism should be
waterboarded. So I use Photoshop for most serious image editing.

But, alas, the interface between Lightroom and Photoshop is very cumbersome
and slow.

This weekend I figured out that if you're dealing with psd or jpeg or tiff
files (not dng), and if you don't use the "virtual copy" feature of
Lightroom, you can overlay Bridge on top of the Lightroom folder, Photoshop
to your heart's content, and then use Lightroom's Library->Synchronize
Folder feature to reabsorb all of the changes you made in Photoshop and
Bridge.

If you do this, you of course lose the edits you made in Lightroom, but I
for one find most of Lightroom's image editing capabilities to be so
pathetic that I mostly don't use them. And if I do use them, I can just ask
it to commit those changes to the image by exporting it on top of itself, so
that Bridge will see them. This loses the history and the undo capability,
but it's worth it.

For a single image, you can flit happily between Lightroom and Bridge. Any
metadata change that you make in Lightroom will show up instantly in Bridge,
and vice versa. For me, this is huge. I can use Lightroom to manage the
metadata and Bridge to manage the data itself and get the best of both
worlds.

Replies: Reply from chuckdesantis at ameritech.net (Chuck DeSantis) ([Leica] Rabs is right)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] major Lightroom/Bridge discovery)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] major Lightroom/Bridge discovery)