Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:30:30 -0500

> Rabs wrote...
> "Perhaps I should make a Flo chart."
>
> Would that be a photo-flow chart?...:-)
>
> Sorry, I couldn't resist.
>
> It's been a great thread - highly entertaining.  But has poor Wendy been
> able to make up her mind about whether to buy a Zeiss or Leica lens?
>
> Joking apart, Frank might be right - perhaps a good user M8 might be
> just the ticket for you Mark.  Better to use the centre of that great
> Leica glass rather than the centre of Nikon glass surely?  See if you
> can borrow or hire one and see how you get on with it.
>
> Cheers
>

> Mark

Thanks Mark P.  I've been using the center of Nikon glass for seven years
and I'm ready for a big boy camera at this point in the big boy photo world.
The perception now in the professional world is if you showed up with a
cropped camera you left your camera at home.
A camera is a full frame camera. A cropped camrea is for your kids. I don't
have any damn kids. When the M8 came out cropped was normal.
Most my Leica glass is rather current and the reason why it took me a full
year to accumulate each one is that it is at a very high price point and a
premium product. As we've discused over the years the reason why a Leica
lens cost 3000  instead of 300 is :

1. Wide open shooting for sure. You don't need to stop down two to get
acceptable results. The specs on Leica wide open match nikon Canon at 5.6 in
many cases.

2.  contrast and resolution specs are not just the center of the field and
then they forget about it. Great pains are made to continue with this
quality right out to the edges. That's why we got the glass. Shooting
cropped with my primo Leica glass would really feel like a waste to me at
this point.

And I'm not at this point really sure how much better off I'd be with an M8
over the admittedly old Nikon DSLR's I'm shooting now.
I'm just going to used that money to get the very big ticket items I need;
which is a full frame nikon and then the following year a full frame Leica
M.
And I'd not mind it if by then the sensor sites had been enlarged so I'm not
getting 18 MP's but 12 and have a much higher useable iso range. As is par
for the course right now.
As the M system has always been a bit more of a PJ location camera than a
commercial photographers camera though  It needs to be a big of both.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM)
Reply from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM)