Subject: [Leica] Subject: Re: Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 02:47:54 -0500

> Gene,
> Thanks for reminding us of the Summarit line.  The 2.5/90 looks like a
> viable alternative to the ZM 4/85 Tele-Tessar, although both lack the
> built-in lens hood (why?) and I prefer chrome. Still looking for a used
> late
> chrome 2.8/90mm Elmarit-M.
> Jan
>
> ...  On the other hand Leica has their Summarit line which are much lower
> in
> cost, just a bit more than the ZM offerings, and a max aperture of 2.5, and
> actually Leica designs, made by Leica in Germany.  And performance and
> build
> are up to Leica specs.  You may want to take a look at them as an
> alternative to the more expensive Summicrons, and Summilux's.  Several LUG
> members have them and like them.
>
> Gene

I can personally recommend your first choice the  2.8/90mm Elmarit-M used.
I can almost part with mine but not quite as I also have a Summicron Asph
APO.
And I kept both becaue I'd have two camera bodies going one with black and
white and one with color and a short tele Is my bread and better; people on
the backdrop or on location.
The word " Summarit" bother me.
I don't want it written on anything I own.
And I think it was ill conceived.
I'm fond of ASPH's and Apo's and cutting edge things in a Leica lens or any
lens I get new.
If I want a luddite lens with old fashioned techniques I'll get an older
lens. A Leitz lens made in Wetzlar perhaps. That's how I approach it.
The  2.8/90mm Elmarit-M is a phenomenal lens its development was funded by
Nasa. To the moon without a rocket ship.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan) ([Leica] Subject: Re: Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM)