Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: wanderjan at gmail.com (Jan Decher)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:01:03 -0500

Tina,
My opinion of Leicas is not low. I am trying to give them the respect that
is due, but not more.

Admittedly when I joined this list I was hoping more for a classic
mechanical Leica users group, sharing their experiences with various lenses,
bodies ad obscure accessories as far back as the Ur-Leica, and shooting
techniques &  darkroom secrets etc. to understand and re-create that classic
Leica look of H.C.B. and others.  Recently, the list has been de-volving
more into a "4/3rds users group".

I fully agree that Leica glass is outstanding, especially for the travel
photography you do.  For a long overdue visit to Europe last year I took
only the M6 and three M and ZM lenses with me, together with a 1959
Rolleiflex. The Leica was great on the street in London and Cambridge.  The
Rolleiflex was the best choice for the family group shot in Germany
(parent's 50th wedding anniversary) and certain landscapes in B&W.

For my other photography - macro, wildlife etc. and documenting my
zoological survey work with small mammals in West Africa - M gear is pretty
useless unless I wanted to fiddle with Visoflex accessories & lenses. I
would have loved to get an R8/9 with the DMR back and those superb Telyts,
but simply could never afford or justify those items!

So I use state of the art Canon digital gear for my work and it has
revolutionized my expedition documentation: detail shots of every species
caught that I can share in minutes with colleagues around the world for ID
questions and rare & endangered species confirmations.

However, digitial imaging is not the slow and deliberate photography and
darkroom / slide & negative scanning experience I enjoy as a hobby. The less
time I can spend on the computer for my hobby photography the better.
I like all high quality mechanical RF gear from Zeiss Contax to the M6/MP,
and was also excited when RF photography got a boost 10-15 years ago with
the creative offerings from CV and ZM which made the field accessible to
younger film shooters and underemployed naturalists like myself... ;-)

Best, Jan

From: Tina Manley <images at comporium.net>
Of course, your mileage may vary depending on how you use your cameras, but
if your opinion of Leica is so low, why are you on this list?
Tina