Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:19:10 +0100

Jan,

it is really surprising how often "Made in Germany" still turns up as a
sign of quality in the translations I work on (perhaps the German word
Pr?dikat says it more succinctly).

The days when "Sheffield Steel", Solingen Steel", Toledo Steel" and all
those other labels were used to denote a particular quality are long
gone - along with the former poor reputation (founded on absolutely
nothing in many cases) of "Made in Japan" that was rampant in the 50's
and 60's.

Germany is really no better than other countries in a lot of industrial
segments, and has totally missed the boat (or hasn't even found out
where the pier is) in many others. German heavy industry is still the
inflexible behemoth that it was 50 years ago, much too much of the credo
"Why change - we always did it that way before" (haben wir immer so
gemacht) and a management attitude that generally refuses to accept
innovation.

The UK, where I hail from, managed to make the transition form an
industrial economy to an economy based on service providers - Germany
missed the boat here too, but is tentatively creeping towards the water.

Having lived here in Hannover for around 36 years now, I have seen the
changes, but all have been only gradual and Germany no longer has the
industrial power it used to wield and made the reputation of "Made in
Germany". The whole idea of Quality Assurance was unknown here in the
later 70's early 80's and only caught on with the advent of management
and business consulting agencies that popped up like mushrooms overnight
about 20 years ago.

Add to this that the Leica pretense of "Made in Germany" is often based
on the EU ruling that this brand mark may be used on products
manufactured elsewhere and only "Assembled in Germany" - a trick that
transformed predominantly Portuguese Leica R cameras into German ones.

In my opinion, if it's excellent and does what I want it to, I couldn't
care a tinker's toss about where it was made.

Sch?ne Gr??e
Douglas