Subject: [Leica] Will you put filter infront of your Noctilux
From: kkanno at users.symmetric.net (Ken)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:36:10 -0600

wildlightphoto at earthlink.net wrote:
> Roger Hart wrote:
>
> People can talk all they want about not wanting to put another piece of
> glass in front of their expensive lens...but if you buy a high-quality
> filter, no one in the world could tell the difference in your photographs.

This is sort of a tangent, but I just compared some B&W MRC UV filters
to some Hoya HDs (they come in the black box). Both are supposed to be
top of the line.

Build quality- B+W wins if you like heavy chunks of brass. The Hoya
stuff is as good as it gets in aluminum. I've found the brass threads
from B+W can be rough, I have put wax on them so they don't tear up my
lenses.

reflections- the B+W MRCs are far more reflective than the Hoya HD
stuff. Both are good though.

The new B+W "thin" filters are thinner than their usual stuff, but the
difference isn't much with you compare them side by side to anything
else. A lense cap will fit on them, but it's only by about 2 threads.

Also, B+W just discontinued all blue cooling filters as of 1-1-2010. I
bought as many as I could from various dealers, and can't find any other
maker of multicoated cooling filters at this point.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Will you put filter in front of your Noctilux)
Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] Will you put filter infront of your Noctilux)