Subject: [Leica] Babes in blackface
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:52:52 -0800 (PST)

Phil wrote:

> I agree that it's a somewhat complex and layered phenomenon
> that tends to get oversimplified because it seems so impossibly wrong
> to modern eyes.  I can remember as a white child in Louisiana
> participating in blackface productions at school and church in the
> 1940s.  Shocking to think about today but it's true.

Thanks, Phil.  Definitely complex.  I stumbled across a boxed set of CD
recordings of the old "Amos n' Andy" radio show about 10 years ago.  I'd
never heard the infamous program, so I bought, took it home, and put it on
the stereo.

It was a weird experience.  I alternated between cringing at the stereotypes
and laughing at the jokes.

--John

John Edwin Mason, Photography:
http://www.JohnEdwinMason.com