Subject: [Leica] Leicas and National Geographic
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:41:10 -0500

> there was feeling at the top that the costs were too high and I expect
> there
> have been significant reductions. In my opinion, quality too has declined
> somewhat.
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

I loved reading Emanuel Lowi's informed start of a thread here and read
everyone later weighing in on what a shame NG ( National Geographic) has
gone downhill.
I've had a subscription to it most my life. From the early 60's on. Now I
buy the ones I like the most. Almost bought one in French a few months ago
just for fun. Because it was there!

I wish I could say I am trying  to be argumentative and disagreeable but I'm
not. It just obviously and effortlessly seems to me that a new generation
has taken over control of the magazine. Perhaps the society.
NG is on its ninth editor of the magazine since its founding in 1888.
He's from Medford Oregon.
They've come a long way from the dry plodding picture journal they've been
putting out decade after decade oblivious of political and sociological
issues.
They've gotten much more hip.
The images have gotten much more creative.
We have elephants standing on white backdrops for Gods sake!! I'm loving it.
Some stuff is even in black and white.
What else could anyone ask for?

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner