Subject: [Leica] Photography IS editing.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:11:26 -0500

> Larry Z

Is sure hope that this argument on the part of Steve and Larry Z is not
"what a pain they want us to look at the pictures later!?" as the editing
comes with the shooting itself!?!!?!
As that's what it sounds like they're saying.
And its a really weak argument for such smart guys to be foisting off on us.
The difference between shooting and editing can be simply explained.
Shooting is shooting and editing is editing.
And no - sorry folks but shooting is not editing.
It would be great if you could go "click" and and that's it. It never was.

I know plenty of people with stacks of yellow Kodak slide boxes who are in
pretty much that category. They look at their slides once.
Back in the box. In the closet. Never to be seen again.
Then on to the next roll with a lens they've never used yet  having traded
the last one in for it.
In older days you got stuff back from the drugstore you'd actually have to
go though them and pick out the ones you were going to carefully paste in
the album and which ones go in the bottom drawer. That can take some real
time!
That's why some people shot slides instead of prints.
Less wasted time not in front of the TV.

Photography can take some real time!!!
But part of the point is its SUPPOSED TO BE FUN TIME.
You're supposed to LIKE PHOTOGRAPHY!?!
When you go click that's only the tip of the iceberg.
Its not about your latest titanium lens cap you just traded in for a carbon
fiber.
Its about your last image you just discovered.
Maybe you just shot it that day.
Maybe you shot it a decade ago
But THAT's what you show them when they walk in your door and go "I hear you
have a big interest in photography!"
Not the carbon fiber lens cap.

I assure you having a short stack of well chosen images which explains were
all the money is going to on the choice German gear is more than just a
little bit fun.
Lets make our work we show them just as choice as the ASPH Apo's from
Wetzlar.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Photography IS editing.)