Subject: [Leica] PESO: Reservations Requested
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:25:09 -0500

New York, despite that anecdote and despite too its reputation, is not a
Darwinian jungle (except perhaps at the upper reaches of society, which in
this country and this city translates to the rich, and they're vicious
everywhere). Indeed, I have traveled a little, not as much as many of you,
but I have never been to any city where strangers are more willing to reach
out and help people who are lost or injured or look confused. I moved to New
York in 1975 to go to college: it was a very rough place back then and went
through other sorts of rough times since. I've seen a shooting, a mugging,
and a few dozen occasions of intimidation and meanness, but I will still
testify that from 1975 til I finally half an hour north last year, New York
remained a shockingly kind place and shockingly generous.

(But chairs in parking spaces? This is the major leagues. We don't fool
around with that stuff. You see that and you say, yeah, right, and then you
pull into the space.  Tough but fair.

Vince P

PS Having just moved to the 'burbs I can also say, want to see a Darwinian
jungle check out property values and property taxes by school districting
lines. It's like someone sat down and figured out the least fair and hopeful
system of "public" education possible for people with little money.