Subject: [Leica] Murillo's. Clutter in a classical mode
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:13:28 -0500

I think it's short sighted (perhaps the word) to call the photo cluttered.
Clearly the room they're in is cluttered but the photo itself is governed by
a definable geometry and by clear and forceful separation of areas of dark
and light. There is a diagonal line running down from the upper right to the
middle left that passes just across the top of the mother's and boy's heads;
another suggested line that bifurcates the photo and passes through their
waists, more or less (in her case, an empire waist perhaps). And finally a
lovely parabola that begins a the boy's right wrist, and traces along the
tops of his arms and up onto his mother's shoulders and across and down her
left arm that -- if you let your imagination continue it -- lands at the
little girl's feet -- so that they are pulled together around a black center
(the blackest part of which, btw, strongly suggests a valentine).  The so
called clutter is incidental, it is real life, it is the equivalent of
clouds in the sky or ripples on the sea, its existence is what allows us to
see the actual meanings that lie beneath.