Subject: [Leica] IMG: Murillo's
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:51:33 -0500

I agree with the negatives so far being said here.
Its dark. I had to save it and lighten it up just to see it.
This happens to shots we are indecently dealing with; a tendency to print
them "down". A year later we reprint them lighter.
And the mothers glance off to the side in some ways does not work for me.
But then they're the rest of the picture:

But the way the many elements in this shot all work together to me is
nothing short of brilliant.
The  gesture into the middle of the frame of the boy on the bench on the
left is amazing.  Balletic.
The way the daughter frames the frame on the left but still is gorgeous...
The terrific chickens on the dirt floor with the dead one hanging from the
ceiling....
And the interest of the detail of all the stuff on the walls.
The shot is as gorgeous as it is a powerful sociological statement.
I'd like to have it hanging on my wall.
I'll like it to be the first page of a big fat important book with Tina's
name on it on my bookshelf in my appartment
It has a higher level of intense humanity the the bulk of shots Tina is
showing us on her sites. And I've seen of her prints and projected slides.
I'd show this shot around and see how it feels having other mentors and just
other people seeing it; seeing it through their eyes.
To me its a sleeper. Its a major find.
I'd have it be the first page or my latest portfolio or the top of the stack
of a box of prints I was carrying around.
At least towards the top of the deck.

I'd re scan it from scratch or have a drum scan made of it.
Re Photoshop it from scratch.
Print it big. Print it small.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner