Subject: [Leica] False start explained well
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:29:07 -0500

Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

>Aram writes:
>
>Here are a few links:
>http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question702.htm
>http://www.condellpark.com/kd/reactiontime.htm
>So, the anticipation of 0.10 seconds has been wired into starting blocks
>for decades, I believe.

The second URL explains the concept of false start and reaction time better
than anything I have ever read. Although specific to track athletes, the
data are applicable to photographers who question the relevance of exposure
lag. Anticipation is the key to getting great pictures of spur of the moment
events. You simply can't react fast enough. Luck helps too.
<<<

The problem I have with the 0.10 second assumption is that it assumes a
cognitive reaction to aural stimulus.  Has a reflex arc been ruled out?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web