Subject: [Leica] IMG: Weston Beach and This Week's Blog
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:48:19 -0500

> They wouldn't have; you were hand holding. Once met a guy out at Weston
> with a
> D300 and he was crowing about how he didn't need a tripod because he had
> this
> great image stabilization. Everytime (Jim and I) see someone out there now
> without a tripod we comment that it must be one of those fantastic D300's.
>
> I don't want to get too much into it with you Mark, but why do you think
> the
> Scheimpflug principle doesn't work for 35mm? Something to do with the
> physics
> of it? Physics stops working below medium format?
>
> Sorry, but it works fine with 35mm, IMO, and adds great depth of field
> capabilities. I don't use shift at all except when I'm all set up and I'd
> like
> to change the framing a bit. Tilt, on the other hand, works very well in
> all
> format sizes I use for changing the way you can use DOF.
>
> As for using the 90TS, I thought I'd just play around with it as Jim is
> always
> giving me grief about it being useless (and he's probably right). But it
> did
> seem to work well in this situation and hey, at least I got 1 shot with it
> over its lifetime.
>
> So don't knock it till you've tried it. Have you? Come on out and show Jim
> and
> me how...
> Bob

I don't think Scheimpflug  would not work with 35mm.
I just haven't seen how its necessary.
To shoot a building it would be great to have the back parallel with the
building so just shift the lens up but I can correct perspective problems so
fast just with the crop tool in Photoshop that I can't see getting a big fat
expensive slow non AF lens..
Scheimpflug with 4x5 you need becaue even stopped down, way down you can't
count on getting everything you want in focus.  When I use a view camera I
actually do have a clue what I'm doing and use Scheimpflug and do everything
correctly that these is to do.  Becaue I think its necessary. If you don't
you don't get ziltch.
With roll film you stop down and get it.
I was shooting f 8 and I was being there on the beach with the tidepool. The
sun way shining. My film was not all that slow. I was doing ok. I'll be
working more with those shots.
I think I shot Tri x pro 320 220 and ran it in Xtol 1:3.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] IMG: Weston Beach and This Week's Blog)
Reply from pearceww at rmi.net (Warren Pearce) ([Leica] Depth of Field)