Subject: [Leica] A non-scientific comparison of the E3 and M8u
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:23:06 -0800

I own an E-510, which is very close to the E-3 in image quality.  I also
have an M8.  I shoot both RAW, and process both in Capture One 4.

In good light at ISO 160/200, when you don't crop much, it is hard to
tell the difference between the cameras at a glance on a 900 pixel-wide
Web JPG.  On an 8x10-ish print, I can begin to see the difference in the
very fine details, but only if I "smell the print" and know what to look
for--the M8 is just a smidgen crisper.  The M8 has more dynamic range. I
have to protect the highlights more on the E-510, and shadows go black
with the E-510 where there might be a bit more detail with the M8.

Start blowing the pictures up bigger, or bump up the ISO, and the
differences become more apparent. I would use the M8 with no hesitation
at ISO 640, which is really 800.  The E-510 gets noticeably noisier in
the shadows at 800, so I would be less likely to use it at that ISO
unless the light is flat enough that I can expose midtones to the right
without blowing highlights.

Blow things up really big, 1:2 or 1:1 on the screen, and it's easy to
see the difference in acutance.  The E-510 has an anti-alias filter, the
M8 doesn't.  The best Leica lenses are noticeably better than the
Olympus lenses, particularly when you open up the diaphragm. So if you
pixel peep or print bigger than 8x10, you may very well see a difference.

Color rendition is a matter of personal preference, and to some degree
depends on post-processing.

Again, most of this doesn't matter under the conditions which Richard
shot and displayed his photos: outdoors on a cloudy day with reasonable
contrast, Web-sized JPGs.    The 4/3 cameras are quite capable if you
know their strengths and limitations.  I prefer my M8, but I'm happy to
have the E-510 when I need an SLR, prefer a zoom, need a long lens, or
just want to take one thing with me, not a kit.

--Peter

Richard Man posted:

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] A non-scientific comparison of the E3 and M8u)