Subject: [Leica] What can the LUG do for Haiti?
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:56:04 -0500

Kyle -

I say it's very admirable and the promoters have the best of intentions;
however, with the state of the profession of photography today, I would
really hesitate to encourage anybody to pursue photography as a profession.
 Teach them plumbing or electricity or something for which there is a demand
and limited supply.  Then, once they are able to make a living, they can
pursue photography as a hobby.  I really and truly cannot imagine the young
Haitian photographers being able to make a living wage with photography in
the future.  Adding more and more students to supply more and more photos
for a dwindling market where most content is assumed to be free is a
questionable endeavor.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. I'll send my contributions to the Red Cross or
Heifer Project International.  But YMMV!!

Tina

--
Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com