Subject: [Leica] in the new york subway last night -- y'all may be proud of me
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:27:41 -0500

I liked the image too.  You can tell right off, the lighting is tricky,
probably mixed sources with different color temperatures.  In the
context of the subway, I think it comes off well.

I have the worst lighting in the world in my house.  Some incandescent,
some compact fluorescent, and some LEDs.  Beastly, horrid, despicable
color.  But I already have a $1,600 monthly utility bill.  When i shot
my M6s and the MP,  99% of the time I used B&W (HP5+ mostly) so color
temperature didn't matter much (except you sometimes had to increase
exposure with odd artificial sources to compensate for the missing
chunks out of the color spectrum).  But with the digitals, I shoot raw,
which is color.

I guess i should overcome my aversion to converting raw to monochrome--I
always had a squeamish feeling about doing that.  Kind of like shooting
Half-dome, but using Kodacolor and Panalure.  You know what i mean...

-rei