Subject: [Leica] IMG: Construction in Kabul
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:20:18 -0500

Hi Hugh,

Are those I-beams in your pictures?

It is interesting that the construction method is not that different from
what I saw in one of side valley off the KKH. The main difference is that
the I-beams were replaced with poplar posts. Their reliance on rocks as
basic building material is also the reason that earthquakes causes so much
casualty. Rocks are certainly *not* in scarce supply and can be had for free
compared to other building supplies.

This is just a snapshot near Gilgit so no claims to artistic merit but it is
taken with my trusty M4P/35mm. :)

<http://www.aotera.org/tmp/Scan-100108-0069.jpg>

Also the importance of poplar should not be underestimated in this region.
Poplar is used for animal fodder (leaves), firewood (branches) and building
material (trunk). Poplar grows fast and can handle the cold winters and very
hot summers. It is easy to grow - I saw some branches stuck into some wet
soil.

Many of the poplars I saw had the lower branches stripped clean of leaves or
just missing as people (or I should say the women) cut them for fodder and
firewood. The dark green leaves of the poplar is often the first welcoming
sight coming from rocky desolation into a fertile valley.

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] IMG: Construction in Kabul)