Subject: [Leica] LUG Yearbook 2009 - How is the Printing?
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:00:52 -0800

On Jan 8, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Alan Magayne-Roshak wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010  Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> My Leica Users Group Yearbook 2009 arrived this morning, by regular
>> delivery Fed Ex...
>> In a few words,
>> superb, magical, captivating....
>
>> I am so impressed by the many wonderful photos contained within...
>> The quality of pure photographic expertise here always amazes me,
>> impressively transcending issues of equipment.
>> That said, the cover, while excellent misses the point, looking like it
>> should be on some other book.
>
>> Steve
> =================================================================================
> Are the B&W pictures neutral?

most are excellent, incl'g  mine...there are a few exceptions as mentionned,
too dense, congested, dark, grainy, but we don't know what they looked like
to start with ?

why ?   who knows, and rare, exceptional...no color balance issues that I
noted.

overall quite fine...much more than acceptable...

>  I ordered a free Blurb book on Dec. 28th as per their offer to make up for
> bad printing on some from last year (like mine).  I wanted to have a
> second copy of "12 Leica Users", so
> this week, when it arrived, I compared it to the one printed in 2008 - the
> new one is purple in the blacks, not black!

Where did this come from?  They are obviously having some sort of color
balance issues with that particular book ...who knows why...but I wouldn't
let them get away with it.

> Last year it took them three tries to get me a good printing of  "19 Leica
> Users".
>
> I'm losing confidence in this company.

My experience has been consistently good, and in general this book is the
best of the series that I have seen.

Steve