Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Cape Town New Year's Carnival
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 07:02:55 -0800 (PST)

Alistair, Nathan, and Ric,

Thanks very much for the comments.

>From Nathan:

"I must say that B&W strikes me as an odd choice for this
subject.  As I look at the pictures, I keep trying to imagine what the scene
really looked like."

I agree with you.  The bright, sometimes garish, colors of the uniforms are
important.  Without those colors, something vital is missing.

I shot in black and white simply as an exercise in forcing myself to try to
see things differently than I have for the last four years.  None of these
photos are for the book.  Everything in the book will be in color.  You can
see a small sample here:

http://johnedwinmason.typepad.com/photos/cape_town_new_years_carni/index.html

--John

John Edwin Mason, Photography: