Subject: [Leica] Walls that work - or not
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 00:39:36 +0100

Walls only really work in the minds of the people who build them, and it
almost always depends which side of the wall you are on and whether you
are being kept in or out.

A bit of wall history:

A significant part of the Maginot line failed completely in WWII because
the commander who had the keys to a strategic fort section went on
holiday and took them with him. The German army just marched around it.

(Source: Military Blunders - book and BBC 2 documentary series by
Geoffrey Regan)

The "Great Wall" of Britain and the Vikings:

Hadrian's Wall (117 km / 73.5 miles long)  was built to defend the
northernmost border of the Roman Empire in Britain against marauding
tribes from what is now Scotland. Work began around 122 AD and took
approximately six years to complete (they obviously didn't need to get
planning permission from the local government ;-) ). The wall was
finally abandoned around 140 AD.

The settlers who followed found it a wonderful source of ready-made
building stone.

Viking raiders first started to attack the English coast in the 8th
century, centuries after the Romans had left, the most famous attack
being on Lindisfarne Priory in Northumberland.

The raids soon gained a more geopolitical aspect as the Vikings
(Norsemen) began to settle in the areas north and a little to the south
of the river Humber and as far north as Northumberland and Durham.

There were actually two different groups of Vikings - the Danes (invaded
as settlers) and the Norwegians (looting warriors) - and their spheres
of influence were more or less geographically separated by the Pennine
hills down the backbone of northern England - Norwegians in the West and
Danes in the East.

Larger cities and trading communities were built at strategic locations
on navigable rivers like the Ouse that flows through York - first a
Roman settlement (Eboracum, where Emperor Constantine was crowned) )
then, later, a Viking settlement (Jorvik).

King Alfred won a decisive battle against the Vikings at Edington and
made a treaty with the settlers that limited their sphere of influence
to Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire and the northernmost
counties of England (Danelaw).

The last great battle between Britons and Vikings took place at Stamford
Bridge (near York) in 1066 (a bad year for Britain, the army was still
exhausted from the battle and King Harald lost against the Normans at
Hastings after, according to the Bayeux Tapestry, he got an arrow in his
eye.

Apparently, one side of my family is descended from early Norse
christian settlers - my mother's side has the name Barraclough,
originally the locational name "beara cloh", describing the village they
originated from - roughly meaning wooded slope or wooded ravine.

Many of the words in the Yorkshire dialect I grew up with are of Viking
(Norse) origin, e.g. laik = to play, skep = basket, ginnel = narrow
street or snicket (all of which I used as a child) as in "Is yower
Martin laikin aht - wirrof darnt ginnel un off ovver to't mill to laik
abaht in't skeps."

The enormous baskets piled up outside the textile mills were great for
playing hide and seek.

There are hundreds more here:
http://www.viking.no/e/england/e-yorkshire_norse.htm

Cheers