Subject: [Leica] Wide angle
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:33:46 -0500

> Quoth the Jeff Moore :
>
>> People have
>> gotten used to having super-duper-wide glass on the camera.  It
>> can't be beat
>> if you need to cover a broad sweep of territory.  But once it's
>> there on the
>> camera...  well, when all you have is a hammer, every problem starts
>> to look
>> like a nail.  [Who originally said that?]
>

> Shot a press conference yesterday... kind of uncontrolled.  I wound
> up on the front row of cameras, being shoved forward.  At a foot from
> the subject, I decided I didn't like the ultrawide perspective, so
> switched to 24-70 and forced a step back.
>
> Before I could get the camera up to my eye there were four still guys
> and three video cameras between me and the podium.  (I was then about
> 30 inches from the subject.)  That was the last I saw of the guy I'd
> been sent to shoot.  There were no Hail Mary shots possible, as there
> was a guy holding a betacam two inches over my head.
>
> I'm very glad I grabbed a couple with the 15 before I backed up.
>
> I'm also very glad I HAD that ultrawide.
>

> --

This was why the Speed Graphic usurped the Graflex RB Series D / Super D.
http://graflex.org/articles/series-d/
The Speed Graphic could use wide's. The Graflex could not.
So the old fashioned SLR's were replaced by the new fangled view cameras.
This of course was pre history. Most of the records were lost. Civilizations
which weren't supposed ot have existed.

The guys with the Speeds stood in front of the shooters with the Graflex' s
who had to get back far enough to get the shot.
The Graflex' s then disappeared. They were 4x5 SLR's.
We think SRLS were invented by Nikon or Exacta in the 60's.
No a full generation before they were widely used. And became obsolete.

Notice the Graflex was not recommended for Carrier landings.

http://graflex.org/articles/series-d/
Mark William Rabiner