Subject: [Leica] Wide angle
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 19:04:41 -0500

> Getting right up someone's nostrils with a 12mm lens can be fun and
> dramatic from time to time, but is probably ultimately a gimmick.
>
>  -Jeff

A thing one might do this being it this time of the year is look at one of
those 2009 retrospectives done by every newspaper and magazine and notice
how many of them were shot with ultrawides.  And imagine  yourself there
with your 50 getting a shot; sending that in, and winning first prize like
these guys did in effect.
Here's 87 best pix from 2009 from the NYTimes.

Looks to me like half of them were shot with ultrawides.
The other half with something between a 180 and 300.
Not much in between

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/photo/2009-year-in-pictures/

I read an article saying that lots of top pros by telephoto zooms.
Wide or ultra wide zooms.
And don't even bother even buying the normal zoom.
This certainly illustrates that.

But I'm sure Larry is right its just a temporary mind distortion and they'll
get over it in a few years.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Wide angle)
Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Wide angle)