Subject: [Leica] Happy New Decade
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:37:25 -0500

This second new millennium decade will be better than the first one was;
which was shaky and wobbly getting out of the gate..
Full moon peaking a few hours ago around 2:13PM EST
But as it was daylight and snowing and overcast so the impact just didn't go
over all that well. Here in NYC.
According to the LUG archive I got on the boat here 1999.
February.
Talking about using enlarging lenes in cameras.
Lots of familiar names were on then as now and I only skipped over the best
ones.
Alastair Firkin also a guy named AlastairF  tended to reinforce each other's
arguments.
Austin Franklin
Several pages worth of B.D.
Both Bernard Degaute and Bernard Delgado They were able to tell themselves
apart.
We had Bill Grimwood posting a lot before the seemingly un official
moratorium of LHSA insiders posting on the LUG.
Brian Reid made lots of posts. The island of Kirimati was just then a
volcano with a nuclear warhead in it.
Names from the past!
Buzz Hausner
Byron Rakitzis
CapsTeeth
Chandos Michael Brown
Claire (a gal!?!?!?)
Dan Cardish
We always got a post from Dan Post
Dominique PELLISSIER  I remember like it was yesterday  gal or no gal.
Donal Philby we had.  A Mole from Zeiss no doubt.
We had a guy named Doug Herr. He used to get great shots of birds.
Also Douglas Herr. A close relative of the same genies.
Dr. Joseph Yao posted dozens of posts.  Unfortunately  they were all about
Efficacy of Different ?-Lactams against an Extended-Spectrum
?-Lactamase-Producing Klebsiella pneumoniae Strain in the Rat
Intra-Abdominal Abscess Models.
Drodgers from sunny Portland Oregon we had.
Eric Welch posted like a son of a gun.
And Erwin Puts put his two cents in on a regular basis. Usually ending any
argument. But not always.
Frank Dernie was very much in the inside lane. As well as his brother
Frank Filippone.
The Four Fred's:
Hess, Hundertmark, Rosenberg, and Zimmerman.
And these guys didn't even know each other.
And too many Gary's to even name;
Elshaw and Todoroff were two.
We had Jem Kime and his cousin Jeremy Kime trying to outpost each other.
And they'd finish each others sentences.
Jim Brick was all over it.
Jim Shulman chipped in once or twice.
The late John Black who I knew from LHSA was very active.
John Brownlow or Johnny Deadman as a major asset till he got to Hollywood.
Now he's driving around in a white Mercedes with the Goldberg variations
coming out of the speakers.
John Collier helped out and gave us his typeface.
Wow I think he posted more than Eric Welch!
I wonder if some of the Kim's were gals? Or Moles?
Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)  was here telling us he got better shots with a
Tamron on a Pentax.
Lots of posts from a guy who just got his first camrea Kyle Cassidy
I never got a chance to ask LawsonCL if he used a Leica CL.
My typing was new then.
LEICAMAN56 posted a whole bunch. I got to know that guy as well. But if I
told you who he was they'd call in the plumbers.
Our LRZeitlin was there then in 1999.

Yeah, they say 2000 zero zero party over, oops, out of time!
So 2night I'm gonna party like it's 1999! (Yeah, yeah)

Marc James Small was on the forefront.
One of his posts was: [Leica] Hey, Eric! Wanna Buy A Bridge in Brooklyn?
The  most recently passed Martin Howard of course posted tons of stuff.
We'll miss him.
Michael Hintlian was with us then
We were all shooting film.
Michiel Fokkema
Mike Leitheiser (RIP) from Portland OR. a friend of mine.
Nathan Wajsman was all over it.
Omegaman as on. Charlton Heston I guess.
Pascal was an influential imperative .
Patrick R. McKee otherwise known as Number two.
Paul Roark was on do you believe it! I remember that now.
Photovilla was on. Poncho's brother.
Redherring posted once:
        Re: [Leica] Beating Dead horses
And we had Richard W. Hemingway who posted in earnest.
 "Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me.
They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft
where we are hard,...
Robert Appleby I'll  miss. He gave me great advise for getting on in life.

I miss Sal DiMarco Jr. who I got to know face to face a bit. And telephone
to telephone. Real telephones not cell phones.
Sam Shoshan was on  the list! wow!

And I miss Steve LeHuray who I got to hang around with once in Baltimore.
Ted Grant was all over it!
We only got one post from " Thambar". It was a big fuzzy but had a nice
glow.
Tina Manley got lots of posts in.
TTAbrahams  was involved with the lug then.
That's Tom A. from BC.
He's the person who told me about the LUG in the first place.

The Xavier's were there.
Logean,and Planellas.

For late bedside reading I'd recommend checking out the LUG Archive.
Next time I'll look at it by topic instead of name.

Its been a fun ten years! Maybe twenty! Who knows?

M. Rabiner

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Happy New Decade)
Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Happy New Decade)