Subject: [Leica] Odd digital M flash behavior
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:27:05 -0500

Ok... this is a weird one.  Shooting Christmas pictures with an M8 and a
Metz 54MZ-3 (current Leica M-TTL ("GNC" ) module), there was some deviant
behavior.

Usually, when a preflash gets skipped with M-TTL, you get a full-power flash
as the preflash and then no main flash - which leads to a dark frame.  This
is normally the result of hitting the shutter button before the 1/2 second
lag in which the flash and the camera open serial communication.  This seems
to be an M-TTL issue, and it doesn't seem to matter what flash you use
(SF-20 or Metz).

What I got last night, repeatedly, was a full-power preflash followed by a
"normal" preflash.  And this was always on the first shot after the camera
was turned on, even if you gave it a second to recognize the flash.

Anyone else experience this?  It didn't look like low batteries in the flash
or the camera.  My wife (being ever so practical) thinks this can be solved
by "buy[ing] a Nikon [D700]."  But I am not one to let troubleshooting go so
easily.

Thanks
Dante

NO ARCHIVE