Subject: [Leica] The 2009 LUG Yearbook Begins! Instructions below.
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:57:35 +1000

Since this has come up again a few times, allow me to repeat my suggestions,
based on having done similar Blurb books myself.
One option is to make your images exactly the container sizes of the page
layouts that Jim uses. This is intended to prevent the Blurb software from
resizing.

For a full bleed image on the left hand page the pixel size is 2888 pixels
wide and 2475 pixels high. There will be a small amount of clipping in the
print process. For different proportions, you can also just match either
dimension exactly and have the other smaller. You will get white space at
the two short edges, obviously.
For a landscape layout on the right hand page (the page with captions on the
bottom) the container pixel size is 2271 pixels W and 1588 pixels H. For a
portrait layout on that page you can make the height still 1588 pixels.
Blurb asks for the images to be set at 300ppi and converted to sRGB also
(including bw). A one to two megabyte file in each case will give good
quality. There is normally some additional file compression that is applied
when the book is uploaded too. That is out of the author's control.
Keep in mind tht Blurb applies considerable sharpening in the printing so
you may opt to apply little or no sharpening yourself.

--
Cheers
Geoff

Replies: Reply from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] The 2009 LUG Yearbook Begins! Instructions below.)