Subject: [Leica] Don't sweat the small stuff (i.e. the M9)
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:39:09 -0500

Nathan wrote:

"The main switch sticks and is corroded due to penetration of a sticky
liquid. Below the top cover the housing is also corroded. Electronic parts
seem to be O.K"

They then offer to repair it for ? 267.30.

What's wrong with this picture?

Firstly, I know for a fact that during the 1 year I have had this M8, I have
not spilled any "sticky" or other liquid on it. The only liquid I can think
of is...sweat. It gets hot in Alicante in the summer, and it has probably
happened that a drop of sweat would fall from my face down onto the camera
around my neck.

- - - - - -

I recall that quite a few Luggers commented unfavorably on Leica's
reluctance to include any provision for waterproofing on the Leica M8. It is
unforgivable that a company that prides itself on providing cameras to
adventurers and explorers not take the most rudimentary provisions for
sealing its cameras against predictable environmental hazards. What would a
few strips of foam or a gasket or two cost? Certainly less than $100 or 1.4%
of the cost of the camera body. As they say "don't sweat the small stuff."
But 267.30 is a lot of small stuff for a drop of sweat. I guess I will defer
buying an M9 for my next sailboat excursion.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Don't sweat the small stuff (i.e. the M9))