Subject: [Leica] Levels of critique
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 20:00:21 -0500

> Can't help wondering,
> "What aspects of the image do you want analyzed?
> Technical, aesthetic, ideas, the moment chosen, all of them?"
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser

In the general vein of what  Ted was just mentioning if you are in a
photography class and most workshops then you are used to all inclusive
criticism. But if you are not but are instead with camera collector types
who never took a class and don't really know just how much effort they
really want to put into this photography deal anyway then just abut any
criticism at all gets personalized and otherwise bent out of shape.
Calling his picture too light is calling him too light. And all that goes
with it! :)

So its not the people showing the photographs who need get a thicker skin
but the people who propose to criticize them need to get a thicker skin.
Become backlash resistant more so.

Its a very worthwise new years new decades of the first millennium
resolution for the LUG which I've seen evolve over more a decade. It used to
be nobody had anything to show for nothin it was all talk no do.
Now its almost all do no talk.
Our shutters have come unstuck but we need to get our keyboards unstuck;
In the more helpfully  and incisive critical vein.

A new enemy is the on the LUG this year had been the politicizing going on.
You criticized a shot in any real way and his "friend" jumps to his
"defense" and treats it like it was a personal attack.
And it IS  a personal attack.
Against you the reviewer.
But I'm seeing a bit less of that in the past months.

Mark William Rabiner