Subject: [Leica] Ted's comments on Inferiority Complex
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:50:41 -0500

Larry Zeitlin wrote:

My wife, a well respected painter, constantly tells me that fine art
isn't spontaneous. You must form an image in your mind and carefully
work to realize it in actuality.
<<<

Yup, but always be open to the spontaneous as well.

Many years ago when I was a tadpole I thought that sitting for an hour and
a half, waiting for light subject technique and background to come together
for a single exposure, was an eternity.  Now, more often than not, many
photos are years in the making: finding suitable habitat with cooperative
subjects and good light & backgrounds, visualizing how to best combine
them, waiting for the seasons with the right light, foliage, and pelt or
plumage, observing the animals' behavior through the seasons, testing any
number of methods for getting close enough to the animals (easier in spring
than any other time of year), trying numerous tools and techniques to get
the visual effects I wanted.  Being obsessive about my photos isn't easy.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web