Subject: [Leica] focus shift (was: Re: A Tribute to Oolong, and Nocti wannabe)
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:46:45 -0500

Richard Man wrote:

> Ah!! Duh. OK, now it makes sense :-) I will check later on today.
>
> Basically, due to the somewhat imprecise and tolerance of various
> factor, the focus is "optimized" for one aperture. In some lens
> design, the focus remain constant even when the aperture changes,
> whereas some the focus changes a bit, which usually is hidden by the
> DoF or the film unflatness etc.

Focus shift is caused by spherical aberation.  Less spherical aberation =
less focus shift.  Spherical aberation is seen as different planes of focus
for light rays from different regions of the lens, i.e., central or outer
regions.

With spherical aberation, at the widest apertures there's never a precise
focus 'plane', it's more like a zone of reasonably good focus: a blending
of the central and outer rays' focus planes.  When the lens is stopped down
the influence of the outer light rays is removed so the zone of good focus
becomes more sharply defined and since it's influenced more by the central
light rays, it shifts toward the the central light rays' plane of focus.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com - Microsoft? Exchange solutions from a leading provider -

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] focus shift (was: Re: A Tribute to Oolong, and Nocti wannabe))