Subject: [Leica] Lightroom or Capture One
From: meino at innerside.demon.nl (Meino de Graaf)
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 18:19:49 +0100

Hello

I have a question that I hope some more experienced people can help to
answer.
Since a week I'm the happy owner of a M9. Until now I used a partial
digital workflow, using a scanner and PictureWindow Pro as Photo editor.
So I have downloaded Adobe Lightroom (3Beta) and started the adaptation
process. The technical qualities are superb, however I still have some
issues. First the organisation of collections with keywords is good, but
  until now I have not found how that is done. So the relationship
between the physical catalogues and the physical images is hidden, which
means that it can be dangerous to reorganize the disks. It could be that
it is simply my lack of understanding and experience.
However the second issue is moire. I knew that it was present in the M9,
but I have not been able to find a plugin or way to handle this in
Lightroom. It can be done in an external editor like PW 5pro, but that
is a tedious process.
So I downloaded a trial version of CaptureOne 5 (pro). In CaptureOne I
could reasonable easy control moire (and other issues caused by the lack
of the AA filter).

So now I have the question, can some of the more experienced users of
these products shed some light on the strengths and weaknesses of both.

An other question is that the trial download of CaptureOne is for both
versions, the regular and the Pro version. Looking on the website of
Phaseone there is a matrix with shows the features of both versions.
Most of the features of the PRO version I don't mind, however it is for
me not clear if there are differences in the library tools that are used
for the manipulation of the image (like the moire tool, all the color
tools etc).

regards
Meino de Graaf

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Lightroom or Capture One)