Subject: [Leica] Super-Wide suggestions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:46:07 -0500

> Mark,
>
> Gorgeous indeed. I think you were in Pro Photo the day I bought an 18.
> If I recall, you'd just purchased a 28/1.4 (either from PP or CWO). It
> was some years ago. I'd forgotten why I sold the 18 until Henning
> mentioned moustache distortion. OK for landscapes. Not so nice for
> architecture. I photographed a kitchen remodel for a contractor and the
> cabinets looked warped. I had to go back with my 21 ASPH M and redo the
> shoot. It's probably the only time the distortion would have mattered
> since that was my last architectural job.
>
> Dave R

I tend to have two sets of lenes.
Ones which I use all the time:  zooms, compacts, fast or cheap.
And ones I use for ultra low distortion issues like interiors or exteriors.
If I'd not be able to use the 18 for such stuff I'd use my 14 2.8. Even the
zoom.
But  carry around the 18mm 2.8 around the next like expensive jewelry which
takes pictures..
Just remember it doesn't matter what your pictures look like all that
matters is what YOU look like.
And you'd look great with that 18 2.8 Nikkor danglening off your shoulder.

Just scroll down these jpegs
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1828af.htm
Click on them they get bigger.

I'd rather be looking at these pix than your average well corrected
interior.

Also
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product-Archive/Camera-Lenses/1911/A
F-NIKKOR-18mm-f%252F2.8D.html
http://tinyurl.com/ykf8gnf

hammered-metal finishing.

Check out Mir's take on it.
He Doesn't say anything bad about it.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor
/AF18mm/index.htm
http://tinyurl.com/yamzros

He includes pix not just of the gorgeous hammered-metal finished lens;
But the pix it take.
I found no mustaches anywhere.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] Super-Wide suggestions)