Subject: [Leica] Scanning problems—help needed!
From: bamboozld at gmail.com (K Landdeck)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:12:38 -0800

Howard,

I can't speak to the Digital ICE issue, but I have a V750.  I'm on a
Mac, so if you're using Windows this may not apply, but it's easy to
change this behavior on the Mac version of Epson Scan software (ver.
3.25A).  First, make sure you are in Professional Mode, and then at
the bottom there should be a check box (right under the Preview
button) labelled "Thumbnail".  This is the setting that makes Epson
Scan automatically detect image borders.  Uncheck it, do a preview,
and then you should have the freedom to select the borders of each
scanned frame manually.  That will take longer than it auto-detecting
(since you will have to use the select tool on each frame of the
preview scan), but it should let you get the whole frame.  I have had
a similar problem with negatives that are shot in "available
darkness": the software doesn't always detect where the edge of the
frames begin and the space between frames (since both are basically
just film base).

For the record, I've noticed the same as you concerning the resolution
of the V750: bumping up the resolution doesn't actually get anymore
detail than my Nikon Coolscan V ED (at 4000 dpi) -- the files just get
larger.

Kevin

Only connect.
bamboozld at gmail.com