Subject: [Leica] S2 test
From: richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:30:24 -0800

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
wrote:

> Amazing! A long distance tele lens with guess to matic focusing now that's
> plain odd! And barely possible!
> I take it all back I know nothing. Long glass for hiking landscapes?

It was made for "aerial shots." Like you fly around in a plane and set
the focus to infinity or 3000 ft, whichever comes first, and shoot
away.

> A Carl Zeiss: Sonnar T* 4/180 CFE Lens is what %99.9 of any photographer I
> know would use for the solution. Or a CFI lens or just CF. ?for medium
> format headshots for sure.
> Its a marvel of cutting edge Zeiss optical design and engineering.
> And the standard of the industry for decades until recently.
> Now with a digital back as its probably a 1.5 crop they're using a 120
> macro
> if not the 100.
>
> Of course this was way back when people used film and they cost real money.
> Now that they're giving this glass away free in a box of cracker jacks its
> just too easy - we must find something rare, expensive ?and impossible to
> maintain. Oh with all kinds of high tech stuff which never worked and is
> unnecessary.
>
> For any photographer I ever new this would be like a dream. To wake up and
> have all the pricey primo Hassy stuff you could barely if ever afford
> without a major loan selling for chump change. Where's that time machine
> when you really need it?
> The 180 lens you can buy now check google shopping new for 5 grand.
> Used for 1 grand.
> That new used price discrepancy those kinds of deals exist only with
> Hasselblad; no other camera system.
> Not Leica. Not Rollei. Not Linhof.

Would you make up your mind?!!! :-)

So now it's back to Hassy+180 for headshots?

But I guess a 6003+ 180 Xenotar (rhyme with Minotaur?) is not as peachy?!!!

I don't mind shooting film. I like film.

If I want to or have to shoot digital, I do. This is about "choices,"
Chai vs. Latte. Red Sox vs, Yankee.

--
// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
// w: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/Portfolio09/ blog: