Subject: [Leica] S2 test
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:57:37 -0500

> I've used the Fuji 800 ISO emulsion with great regularity.
> But it's true, the studio folks think nothing of using extra lighting,
> and portable generators, indoor and outdoors.
> S.d.

I've never got anything faster than iso 1200 out of the Delta 3200 with any
developer dilution combination I ever used. I probably tried three.
So I found it to be a stop and a half faster than tri x not 3 stops.
And a stop and a half did not feel worth it to me to not be shooting 220 and
the cost of this 120 extra fast but not film seemed jacked up and not worth
it.
I also did not find the results smooth or anything else particularly
positive. Odd as the Delta 400 and 100 were both great films which I got
great results out of. Ilford is a great company.
So I stuck to tri x professional 220 which had an iso of not 400 but 320 for
most of my medium format shooting. 24 on a roll did not make me feel
contracted.

In 35 I'd shoot 1600 with Neopan. Or Kodak even both tested out for me at
1600. I guessed the delta would as well. I was wrong. Shooting it at 1600
gave results consistently week in the shadows for me with many rolls in many
situations. I had to lower it another half stop to nail it. Which put it at
1200. I'd love to see this smooth results from Delta 3200 @ 3200 and know
what developer was used and at what dilution.

Medium format is where I'd love to have had some extra speed as you get less
depth of field and the speed would not show up as the grain as much. The
speed would be even more needed.
But it was ironic to me in my work that for medium format I'd end up
shooting at lower ISO's than 35mm. Not higher.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] S2 test)