Subject: [Leica] [IMG] AIRCRAFT - Last flying Vulcan XH558
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:36:59 +0000

Don't remember the Beverly, though its fuselage shape reminded me of the
Argosy - similar shape, but with twin tail booms.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/results.php?q=argosy&fields=all&sort=latest&limit=10

I used to watch these and Andovers drop parachutists on a small airfield
near Swindon when I was a lad.

I was lucky enough to get an air experience flight in a Shorts Belfast.,
which at the time was the RAF's biggest transport aircraft. Oh happy days!

http://www.abpic.co.uk/results.php?q=Shorts+Belfast&fields=all&sort=latest&limit=10

Cargo area was like a ballroom!

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk
Blog                   http://www.monomagic.co.uk/blog
Picture a week (2009)  http://www.monomagic.co.uk/index.php?gallery=paw/2009
                (2008)
http://www.monomagic.co.uk/index.php?gallery=paw/2008

Douglas Sharp wrote:
> [...]
> was much smaller at the time (probably around the age of 9 or 10).
>
> Though not quite as ugly as this:
>
> http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1047815/
>
> One of these (a flying car/passenger ferry) rotted for years on the
> apron at Yeadon because nobody wanted it - the operator had gone bust
> and there were no takers. A reasonably successful rich persons?
> alternative to the channel ferry at the time
>
> Cheers
> Douglas
>
> Mark Pope wrote:
>> My favourite aeroplane.
>> I remember when I was in the Air Training Corps, we went to RAF
>> Waddington, where these aircraft were based.  You can't appreciate the
>> size of these aircraft until you get close.  The bomb bay is
>> absolutely massive.
>>
>> There is a book about the attack on the Falklands called 'Vulcan 607',
>> by Rowland White.  It's a terrific read, describing the build up to
>> the mission and giving a fascinating insight into jus what was
>> involved in staging these raids.  One of the biggest challenges was
>> having enough bombs to do the job!
>> The pilot who flew the Vulcan on this attack, is I believe the same
>> chap who now flies this one.  His name is Martin Withers.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing the pictures Peter.
>>
>> All the best
>>

>> Mark Pope,
>> Swindon, Wilts
>> UK
>>
>> Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk
>> Blog                   http://www.monomagic.co.uk/blog
>> Picture a week (2009)
>> http://www.monomagic.co.uk/index.php?gallery=paw/2009
>>                (2008)
>> http://www.monomagic.co.uk/index.php?gallery=paw/2008
>>

>> Peter Dzwig wrote:
>>> Some shots of the last flying Vulcan taken at Goodwood this year.
>>> Thought some
>>> of you might be interested :-)
>>>
>>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album83/Aircraft/29570025_Vulcanedited-1.tif.html>
>>>

>>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album83/Aircraft/29570026_Vulcanedited-1.tif.html>
>>>

>>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album83/Aircraft/29570027_Vulcanedited-1.tif.html>
>>>

>>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album83/Aircraft/29570020_editedVulcan.tif.html>
>>>

>>> The Avro Vulcan was one of the mainstays of the British V-Bomber
>>> nuclear strike
>>> force in the 1960s. They were operational with the RAF from 1953 to
>>> 1984. The
>>> trio of Avro Vulcan, Handley Page Victor and Vickers Valiant were
>>> designed to
>>> carry nuclear bombs far into the heart of the old Soviet Union.
>>>
>>> The Vulcan last saw action carrying conventional weapons in the
>>> Falklands War
>>> when a force of them flew non-stop from Ascension to the Falklands
>>> (and back!)
>>> refuelling from Victor tankers with which they rendez-vous'd over the
>>> Atlantic. The mission was to deny the Argentinians the use of the