Subject: [Leica] M9 - the end of the line for Leica?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:59:32 -0800

At 10:31 AM -0500 11/10/09, Richard Clompus wrote:
><x-flowed>Larry, a brilliant synopsis of the eye and neural processing that
>we
>all have built-in and take for granted every day.  No doubt the next
>generation lenses will include software fixes in their self-contained
>firmware.

   ...as do the Panasonic lenses for the m4/3 system now. Distortion
and CA correction are done in firmware/software. The software is
either the jpeg engine in the camera or the raw converter (which has
to be aware of the correction parameters). It works very well, and
enables the tiny 7-14 zoom, for example to be both extremely sharp
and essentially free of distortion.

Some P&S cameras, like the new Canon S90 apparently also do this.

You just have to use the correct raw converters. Also, with these
lenses no one is likely to try to use them on film and find out how
'horrible' they are.

I think this is an eminently sensible approach.

And for those still using the old fashioned "optical only"