Subject: [Leica] M9 reviewers drawn from the unwashed masses
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:44:02 -0500

Doug,

I agree with you on one level. It's faster and easier to snap things
into focus when a lens is wide open. Also, the wider the lens, the
better.  But if that's the case, why not use an f2.8 lens instead of an
f4 lens? And why even use the 6.8 Telyt?

The obvious answer to both of those questions is that there are obvious
tradeoffs, whether it's cost, availability, size/weight issues, etc...

The way I see it Leica lenses shouldn't be sitting on a shelf gathering
dust when there's a way to use them one some pretty fine digital bodies.
(Not all of us are lucky enough to own a DMR!) :-). So what if there are
some minor inconveniences? The trade offs are worth it. The cost isn't
great (at least not in Leica terms). The inconvenience isn't that great.
In fact, it's less than I thought it would be.

I tried the Leitax adapter out of curiosity. I really didn't think that
I'd like it. I didn't like using a Leica M right off the bat, either.
But I gave it time and it grew on me.

The Leitax option certainly isn't for everybody. It's not for rapid fire
shooters, action photography, etc. There's a reason I still have
Nikkors. But most of what I do these days is methodical photography.
Oddly, one thing I really like is that the PITA of manual photography
makes me feel more engaged in the entire picture taking process.

My only regret is that I can't convert my old Contax lenses, too.

Dave R

>> With the lenses I typically use, I find focussing at full aperture to
be much quicker and more accurate than at a working aperture of one or
more stops smaller than maximum aperture.

With the f/6.8 Telyts it's not a problem because I sendom wish to use
them at any aperture smaller than f/8, but even at f/8 I find focussing
them more difficult and slower on any camera other than the SL or SL2.

With the 280mm f/4 APO I find focussing at f/4 to be quick and accurate
at full aperture, less so at a working aperture f/5.6 or f/8.<<