Subject: [Leica] Anybody with an actual M9 have experience with largefast cards?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 02:46:20 -0500

> If you are shooting uncompressed (14 bit)  18mp DNGs the files are 34.7MB
> each on the card. Interestingly, importing them with LR3 will losslessly
> compress those (both the original and second copy) to ~18MB on your
> computer/external drive.
> I use all 4GB cards on the M8 as my choice and found the almost 400 frames
> per card practical with the M8 when travelling and shooting a lot. I think
> that 16GB cards will become the new 4GB for me.
> Keep in mind that you will need to change the battery periodically
> (expected
> 400~500 exposures dependant on your style), so in my opinion it is better
> align the card change with that operation if you have a heavy shooting
> schedule. For cost and risk reasons also, in my opinion 16GB is the best
> choice.  For less demandig situations, around 90 frames on a 4GB card is
> pretty useful anyway. I think that 32GB is the highest supported in the
> SDHC
> standard. Someone will correct me if that's out of date. Write speeds may
> see some improvements when firmware updates become available in the future.
> 2009/11/8 Bryan Willman <bryanwi at bryanwi.com>

I agree that the core issue is that a very nice workflo if that's the word
is to have your card changes match up with your battery changes.
That does work out every well. Perfectly.
You've got to change the battery when shooting very intensively every few
hours anyway its a perfect time to also change the card.

Also my computer does not like it with so many hundred files in the same
folder I like each card to be in its own folder in my computer.
This makes me very happy.
Its like all your PRINT FILES fille with negs or slides in the same 3 ring
notebook.
All your ducks in a row.

Mark William Rabiner