Subject: [Leica] Leica viewfinder magnifier 1.4 on M9
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 02:06:35 -0500

> There is one practical reason for the manufacturer to keep tinkling
> with things like Baryta etc. besides bragging rights (although in
> truth I do suspect the bragging right is at least as much a factor).
> They are trying to deliver a gloss or semi-gloss surface that that has
> the high dMAX, and looks like fine arts paper, similar to the cachet
> of photo rag, and not like ... glossy, or pearly plasticy RC paper.
> Yes, I know, Mark, your opinion is that under glass, no one can tell
> the difference between RC and FB (or darkroom print vs. inkjet for
> that matter), but the market pull is there.

The market pull is mindless.
By far the most superior photo process everyone knows  is platinum printing
and those are matt with a by far lower Dmax than silver printing.
A silver print needs to be glossy because the emulsion is not on top like it
is in most processes,  platinum and inkjet and gum Bichromate and many
others.
When you print matt darkroom paper it is totally unacceptable; they dry down
totally dead have no value on any market the gelatin is in the way so it
needs to be gloss.
You don't want anything to look like an RC print in any way.
And I'd not confuse bragging rates with lying rights.
Rag paper comes sometimes in four different thicknesses from the same
companies line of papers.  You don't need optical  brighteners. You don't
need Baryta in the inkjet process.
There's such a thing as integrity. You do what needs to be done. You don't
imitate its another word for deceive or try to make things look like what
they are not.
Your not going to  see much Baryta paper or gloss paper in the galleries
sold to serious collectors or in museums. You're going to see mainly rag
mat. It has a gorgeous look and is what it is. And inkjet print. Not a
Glicee print. Not a fake Baryta darkroom print.
And you're going to see the so called market pull drop on such baloney when
people forget what darkroom prints look like. And start recognizing the
current processes as more than legitimate with no apologies needed to be
made to anybody.

Mark William Rabiner