Subject: [Leica] IMG: process
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:31:54 -0600

Thanks for taking a look and commenting Don.
After reading your question earlier this morning
I thought about it over coffee.

In the end I don't know if I have an answer to "why."
It feels like the why of the composition
exists (a bit) in the accompanying words,
which came after working and looking at the photograph
as well as, of course, the image itself.

I believe this image exists because of
what I'm reading,
how fall affects me,
my age,
just reading of Jim losing his friend (too young),
and finally -
walking out on to the porch,
on the way to the bank,
seeing this tiny leaf holding the delicate stuff of life
and then looking through the Visoflex ground glass
at the single leaf holding rain,
it felt too tight, too specific, almost claustrophobic.
I climbed on to a chair,
then felt it all there: intuitively;
change, cycles, life, aging, loss and new life,
in asymmetrical balance.

Certainly not actually thinking about any of these things
as a photograph demands to be made;
nor any need to escape the darkness
through the white stem at the top of the the frame.
Yet, in retrospect, that too is there,

In the end
it's just the magic in photography
that I love