Subject: [Leica] IMG: LX3 - no MF lag
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:36:06 -0700 (PDT)

I'm shooting raw. You can crash the buffer if you really push it, but if you
shoot with a deliberate half second pause you can keep it up forever.

Focus is set via a scale that shows in the LCD when you use the toggle
joystick. The scale doesn't have good distance demarcations, and the sliding
DOF band is as wide as available light conditions allows, given the other
settings you've set up in the menu (minimum shutter speed, preferred ISO).
It's goddam awkward, and in bright light forget it.

I preset focus at 7 feet and shoot mostly from the hip. This covers 80-90%
of my shooting when I'm using a regular M, but with the LX3 I just write off
those shots that call for modifying focus. It's too much hassle, slow, and I
make myself visible.

This is why I'm curious about the X1 and want to see how they manage focus
with it. Too soon to kvetch about a camera that's not even out yet, but
since it has a dial devoted to focus, why can't they have a small mechanical
window displaying focus distance with moving DOF bracket needles? Something
like the old Voightlander SLRs had on the lens barrel.

I'm cramming this into halftime of the Notre Dame game. I love the spectacle
of racing, but the only sport I'm really passionate about is college
football. I'm not a ND fan, but their star WR (Golden Tate) was a student at
the school I've was teaching at for the last 4 years, and he ended the 1st
half with a truly spectaclar hail mary catch in the end zone. Second half
starts now.