Subject: [Leica] M8 EXIF Question... Lens Used
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:34:31 +0100

Frank, an M8 will record the lens and its maximum aperture in the EXIF
if the lens has 6-bit coding. For an example, see my PAD from 18/10:
http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Picture-A-Day/4253606_netUM#684455258_fw4U5
If you click on the Photo Info button (just hover  on the right side
of the image), then you will see that the lens is recorded as 35mm
with a max. aperture of f2, i.e. a Summicron. It also tells you that
this is equivalent to 47mm in film terms.

If you look at my PAD from 24/10:
http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Picture-A-Day/4253606_netUM#691636469_ytPiF
then you see what happens when the lens is not coded: the camera
records an aperture of f1 and no focal length info (in this case the
lens used was the 1.2/35mm Cosina/Voigtlander).

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu