Subject: [Leica] 28mm Summicron + M8 on Auto = Overexposure?
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:48:20 -0500

I've been trying to decide what and why is going on here.  The 28mm
Summicron, when used on my M8 set on automatic, is slightly
overexposing the "frame".

See http://www.bobbaron.com/28CronOct09/index.html .

The first frame is out of the camera at ISO 320, -1/3 EV (stop)
exposure.  It is washed out.  The second frame is the same image
adjusted down another half stop in Lightroom and is a lot closer to
what a correct exposure should be.

Do wider lenses throw the metering off somehow?

I can take some of the pain out of this obviously by setting the
camera to expose at -2/3 rather than -1/3 when I use this lens, but
I'm just curious as to what is going on.

The lens is pretty nice; the third frame is a 100% crop (also iso 320)
with a little more tweaking in Lightroom.

--Bob

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] 28mm Summicron + M8 on Auto = Overexposure?)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] 28mm Summicron + M8 on Auto = Overexposure?)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] 28mm Summicron + M8 on Auto = Overexposure?)