Subject: [Leica] AA filter removal
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:42:09 -0400

I'm sold on using R lenses. I haven't used a Nikkor in a very long while. I
use a D700. However, I still have my older D200, which has very few miles
(frames) on it. I've thought about having the AA filter removed on the D200
and wonder if anyone has any experience or related suggestions.

I don't know if it would be a waste of money or a worthy endeavor. I suppose
my question all boils down to whether or not it's the AA filter than tends
to make a Nikon -- or Canon for that matter -- inferior to a DMR. Or did
Leica put some magic in the DMR that all the others didn't?

I could be way off base, but it seems to me the potential quality of a
digital image depends on two things -- the quality of the lenses and the
logic behind the software. Of course, that assumes same sensor size and same
camera type. IOW, how much variation can there be in camera body and the
actual sensor? I'm sure it's na?ve to assume a person can take an
inexpensive body, remove the AA filter, and have it perform like a DMR. But
wondering doesn't cost anything :-)

Dave R