Subject: [Leica] iso 100.000+??
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:54:44 -0400

> Why do we need iso 100,000?  I seem to remember we all got along just fine
> with iso 400 or 800.  Seems like just a race to see who can supply the
> highest
> iso before the next guy.
>

> Gene

We didn't get along just fine at  400 or 800 though. People drove themselves
crazy figuring out how to push their film to 1600 or higher why? Because
they needed to. They were not capturing the action like they needed to at a
basketball game or whatever else. When Neopan 1600 camera out and you could
rate it at 1600 with no pushed looking results it was very welcome. When I'd
shoot color at 800 it felt constrained to me. I needed that f stop.
The flash look is falling by the wayside people want a natural look.
Capturing fast action at dusk or at night sure why not everyone else is
doing it.
You're looking at shots in magazines and newspapers every day which couldn't
begun to have been shot at iso 400. They are shooting at iso 4000 at least.
Photography is doing better and has come a long way.
You gotta disenthrall your mind from 1969.

Mark William Rabiner